Friday 14 December 2007

i once saw a dragonfly

She called to me and said, 'Free me'
She said 'Come and fly away with me tonight'

I dried away my tears and slammed the door. As I ran into the forest, it was as if it wasn't me that was running. I could feel that something was taking over me. At first I thought it was the anger taking control, but right then I heard her voice. 'Don't be scared' she said, 'just meet me by the river'. I had always considered myself to be a rational person, but there was something in her voice that made it impossible to question her words. Maybe it was her desperation, maybe it was my need, I don't know. I ran to the river and waited for her to appear. I never saw her but I felt her presence. The sweet smell of vanilla and the energy in the air was impossible to ignore. I felt her touch on my cheek, her loving caress. 'Come on, love,' she said, 'it will all be alright'. My heart was beating so fast that for a moment, I had this crazy idea that it was responding to her call. I had been waiting for so long. She called to me and asked to be heard. I had made a promise, 'I'll follow you no matter what'. 'Let's fly away' she said, 'hold my hand'. I was scared, I couldn't let go of the memories. 'I know' she said, 'it will become much easier when you erase all the memories and make room for new ones'. I was ready for a new beginning, ready to take my chances. I let go of the past that I had been holding on to, and held her hand. She said 'Trust me, I'll never let you go'. I kept holding her hand as we jumped. We fell down into the emptiness. I took my chances. It was the first time I had ever felt so alive in years. As we were falling, her voice haunted me: 'I'll never let you go'. I trusted her.

I trusted her because I knew what a promise could do.

No comments: